The scale of this museum is only really evident from the air. The extensive site comprises two spacious interior courtyards that are framed by four unusually diverse buildings. The oldest of these, the historic armory built in 1500, faces St.-Jakobs-Platz. The collections annex, which was designed by Gustav Gsaenger at the end of the 1950s, extends to Rindermarkt; the medieval royal stables – which were reconstructed in 1977 – reach as far as Sebastiansplatz. Both in terms of its physical magnitude and the scope of its collections, it is Germany's largest municipal museum. The value of its collections is beyond calculation.